Monday, 27 February 2012

Monthly Miettes

I am especially excited to write this post for you today, as it's been several months in the making! 

Last fall, I started lusting after a certain cookbook, right around the same time that I caught the baking bug (which, oddly, was shortly after insisting I preferred the freedom of cooking!). I started baking more than ever and decided I really wanted to challenge myself and bring my baking skills to the next level. 

That cookbook was called Miette, by Meg Ray, which carries her pastry shop's namesake. Meg is an inspiring, self-taught baker who built this incredible business from the ground up in San Francisco. This cookbook, then, is a compilation of her tried and true recipes, and contains invaluable instruction on the finer techniques in cake baking and decorating.

The book, in a word, is darling. The pages, scalloped and glossy. The photos, stunning. The recipes, challenging, but enticing. The instant I laid my eyes on it, I knew I had to try and create beautiful cakes like the ones in Miette.

Meg Ray's Cookbook: "Miette - Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop."


Having signed up for so many blogging events out there last fall, I decided it was high time that I begun my own. So I wrote to Meg and told her about my idea for a blogging challenge called Monthly Miettes. She wrote back saying that she dug the idea. I was elated!

For the more accomplished bakers out there, these recipes might be - pardon the pun! - a piece of cake,  but for me, this is something that will challenge and stretch me. I will probably fail as often as I succeed and I will most certainly learn a ton. I'm looking forward to it!

I wanted it to be easy to participate - the recipes themselves are challenging enough and Lord knows I don't have much time these days! - so the rules are quite straightforward. Buy the book. Make one cake per month along with me and then post about it. Link back to this post. Let me know you've posted by leaving me a comment, and I'll do a round up the following month. That's it!


Click on the logo to visit Miette's website. Used with permission from Meg Ray.


We won't publish the recipes - much like the people over at French Fridays With Dorie - we'll simply work our way through the cookbook, one recipe at a time, one month at a time. That will also encourage others to buy the cookbook and enjoy it's beautiful composition in their own home, in their own time. (The recipes are much too long to re-post, anyway!)

For the first month, I've chosen the cover recipe: Tomboy Cake. You have from now until March 25th, 2012 to submit your post. 

Wait - there's one more rule! When you make your cake, you must, must eat a slice for breakfast, along with a steaming mug of coffee (or whatever it is you drink to wake up!). 

Why? You'll have to watch this video to understand. Prepare to be enamoured!






To recap, here are the rules:

1) Buy Miette. It will be the prettiest, daintiest addition to your kitchen/bookshelf.
2) Bake the cake of the month and post about it on your blog/website by the 25th. We will start with 'Tomboy Cake', due March 25th, 2012.
3) Eat a slice of your cake for breakfast (as often or as seldom as you wish, but at least once!), photograph it, and enjoy this little morning ritual to the fullest.
4) Link back to this post, please and thanks! (And if you're tweeting about it, use #monthlymiettes.)

Leave me a comment below or drop me a line if you would like to participate: foodjetaimee (at) gmail (dot) com.

Happy baking!

34 comments:

  1. Darling is absolutely the perfect word for this book. I've already given it as a gift to friends. Count me in. xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wonderful, and I *know* you will produce the loveliest Miettes! xo

      Delete
  2. Awesome.... hatsoff

    visit @my blog for my first event in ur free time :-)
    Preeti
    Ongoing Event--Color n Sweet-HOLI FEST
    Preeti's Kitchen Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aimee!

    Looks and sounds like lots of fun! I hope to get the miete baking book in the future and I hope on owning soon an oven too, so I might be able to participate in the near future.
    The cakes look all so stunning too... O.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely feel you about not having an oven! That's one of the reasons I was so excited to finally come home last year. Hope you can join us at some point, Helene! xo

      Delete
  4. I love this book and I can't wait to start baking ... I'm in!

    - Chelsea Yelland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Love the love of baking in this city and the way it's been bringing people together. Food = community... I just have to say it again.

      Delete
  5. I will try to get the book soon, but March is crazy for me:-) I love love this idea though!!! The book sounds wonderful:-) Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely Terra! I hope you can join us, but if March is too busy (I feel you!), join us another month? xo

      Delete
  6. So I might have to do this. You are darling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend referred me to your blog, and this challenge. Would love to join you, especially as I've been eyeing the Miette book for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! So glad you came by! Your blog is absolutely gorgeous. Very much look forward to following your food adventures and seeing your Miettes!

      Delete
  8. Woah! This sounds like a very fun challenge. Have been swamped but I've promised to focus as much I can on my blog this month. Will try to work towards 25th :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be WONDERFUL to have you join us, An! xo

      Delete
  9. Okay here ya go! My post is up :) Such a delicious (and impressive!) cake. Can't wait for next month's challenge! http://bit.ly/x3Ys4Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVERYONE stop what you're doing and go see Jasmine's beauty of a Tomboy Cake! Love it!

      I'll be posting my experience with the cake along with the round-up after the 25th.

      Delete
  10. While reading the reviews of the book on Amazon, I came across this list of corrections to the recipes from the publisher http://www.chroniclebooks.com/landing-pages/pdfs/Miette_Errata_cardREV.pdf might be handy before you all get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle - thanks for this!

      I really should have mentioned this in my original post, but part of the reason why I wanted to bake from this book was precisely because of the errors. Meg and the publishers have gone out of their way to make sure the corrections are widely available (a hard copy is also included inside the cover of the cookbook), and I thought it was a shame that some people (based on the reviews) opted to not buy the book because of the errors, without giving it a fair shake first. Thanks again for your comment and the reminder!

      Delete
  11. I had so much fun with this challenge! The cake was incredible. Thanks for creating this. Can't wait for the next MM :)

    Here's my post:
    http://athenasplichta.com/journal/text/13467267

    ReplyDelete
  12. My family loved this cake! Can't wait to see our next Miette challenge. My post: http://bit.ly/GKnApH

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't joined any baking challenges before but I've had Miette on my bedside table for months and this is just the excuse I need to make time to try Meg's recipes. I'm a bit late for this month but I'd love to join in for the next challenge. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina! I'd love to have you join us in April! I'm posting the round-up and the next challenge by tomorrow :)

      Delete
  14. Hi Aimee!!

    Whew, just under the wire - but my Monthly Miettes post is up - http://www.kellyneil.com/kellyneilcom/2012/3/25/monthly-miettes-tomboy-cake.html

    Hope you're having a great Sunday!!

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A little late but I made it just in time!
    I loved this cake, it was delicious and will definietly be made again!

    Here's my post : http://cookconfessions.blogspot.ca/2012/03/monthly-miettes-tomboy-cake.html

    Everyone loved it!

    - Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesomem, Aimee! I am looking forward to this monthly blog event of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Miette cookbook! I'm currently baking my way through it :)

    It's not for this challenge but I made the Tomboy Cake for V-day and I absolutely loved it! http://me-ette.tumblr.com/post/18010522420/tomboy-cake

    I'd love to join in the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jing! I love your blog! Thanks for commenting so I could find it. I hope you can join us for the next challenge! If you can, I left the theme open so you could try a new tart :)

      Delete
  18. Ok, I'm in, ordering it off Amazon as we speak! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like a wonderful project!! i would love to be a part of it next month! How do i find out which recipe you choose each month? So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this idea and was planning to buy the book this month! Looking forward to joining in!

    ReplyDelete